brainbathdm.bandcamp.com
10/10 CRUSHED FUCKING SKULLS
Hailing from Glasgow, Scotland comes Brainbath, who play death metal firmly grounded in 1990s sensibilities with catchy riffs and rhythmic vocals that reach out and strangle the attention out of you. There are some similarities to Deicide, Bolt Thrower, and Grave, all of which is perfectly fine by me, but this band is more than the sum of its influences. Their songwriting is original and enjoyable. They're not reinventing the goddamn wheel, they're playing damn good death metal. Period. In fact, they have that certain "something" I'm always looking for in death metal bands. It's the catchiness and metal attitude that hearkens back to the bands of old. I really like the use of reverb on the vocals in strategic spots, and the vocals themselves have an interesting unique tone to them, and a forcefulness that most vocalists cannot muster. This band has figured out that death metal vocals aren't an afterthought, but are quite important, as important as any other instrument on the record. I'll be listening to this album over and over, as it has absolutely everything in death metal that I'm hunting for, from speed to breakdowns to thrashing riffs, crushing vocals, and pounding drums, as well as the ever-important good songwriting. I'm settling for the digital edition since I don't trust the tariff situation in the USA yet for ordering from overseas, but if this were to show up in a distro I normally order from, I would be all over getting a physical copy!


No comments:
Post a Comment