personal-records.com
6/10 CRUSHED FUCKING SKULLS
Demonic Manifestation play heavy as fuck death metal from Mexico with a dose of darkness coming from the drawn-out vocal patterns, which are a like a summoned demon draining the light from around it. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the vocals due to the way the patterns are performed, but they grew on me after a few songs and I suddenly understood what the band was attempting to do with them - it's another (horrific) instrument to add a dark heaviness, not just words. It still grates on me a bit. I tend to like catchy, rhythmic vocal performances, and this is neither. There is usually one supremely heavy riff in each of these songs that immediately becomes the focus of the song or at least the most memorable part of it, and the songwriting itself is quite good. The music does a good job of evoking the cover art, with writhing tentacles and a goat demon in the background cavorting in a graveyard, while a phantasmagorical depiction of a screaming man and skull are in the forefront. This is pure nightmare fuel, and the music furthers the artwork. In the end this was just better than average for this style, and it's not something that's on my immediate list to purchase, but if you're an HM-2 junkie, your mileage may vary, especially if you like seriously dark death metal.


No comments:
Post a Comment