Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Review: Vilifier--Skullthrone (Digital) (2026 Independent)


vilifier.bandcamp.com
7/10 CRUSHED FUCKING SKULLS

Now, I know it says digital in the title line above, but there should be a physical release of this coming at some point. The promo for this release was sent to me on a hand numbered cassette, which reminded me wistfully of the old days of the scene. Until an official release is out, you can grab the digital version on Bandcamp. Vilifier deliver some seriously sickening metal of death on this EP, properly ancient sounding and filthy. The band makes a show of saying this was recorded "under abysmal conditions," but the sound isn't bad at all, just quite raw. I can still hear all the instruments well, and everything sounds like it should. It doesn't take away from the heaviness, no, it adds to the atmosphere! Gone are the days when recording quality could give a band a specific atmosphere, but hats off to those bands like Vilifier who remember this and do something about it. Stylistically there's plenty of war metal influence, but also 80s and 90s death metal and black metal. The riffs are simpler, the arrangements are catchy, and the axiom "only death is real" applies. I truly enjoyed this material, as I generally do with most of the scene in Australia! There's just something about bands from that country, a certain grittiness in the sound that truly satisfies my metal tapeworm. This is worth tracking down, get thy ass to Bandcamp now.


No comments:

Post a Comment