Friday, August 14, 2026

One Day in Fukushima--The Shameful Eighteen (CD/LP) (2025 Global Help Records/Jungle Noise Records)


globalhelprecords.com
8/10 CRUSHED FUCKING SKULLS

One Day in Fukushima play furious grindcore that borders on deathgrind at times. They manage to write in plenty of hooks and catchy moments into these brisk songs. They do have one of the funniest song titles ever, "Conan, Destroyer of Incels," which makes me chuckle every time I read the words. This is grind, so the songs are socially aware lyrically, and critical of our current world order, as they should be. I never took this band seriously before because of the name, but after seeing the awesome cover of this LP, I was tempted into checking them out, and I'm glad I did. My favorite thing that they do is when they drop a Terrorizer-style riff into the midst of their furious punk-based grind, it truly metalizes this material. Vocally, this is about what you'd expect them to sound like, with low growls mixed with high screams, often in the same verse or measure, but the performance is powerful and should be commended for tone and vocal patterns. The blastbeats are steady and precise, as well as energetic, and they focus the intensity of the music. I find often that grind succeeds in being much more intense than death metal due to the urgency with which it's played. Overall, this is a fine record, and one that belongs in every grind freak's collection!



No comments:

Post a Comment